Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Turn an IBM X3100 M4 Server into a workstation.



This is a neat little server that comes from IBM that officially doesn't support Windows 7. In this post I will guide you through making it run Windows 7 using the built in LSI Raid controller and a RAID mode.
If you decide to use AHCI mode however, it becomes easier (as it is supported by Windows 7), but you will be missing a performance (or stability) increase you'll get with the RAID.

The LSI raid controller on this server does not have drivers that support Windows 7 - only Windows Server 2008 (R2). There's also a great many driver packages available from IBM for this controller, so choosing the right one is quite time consuming. After 4 different failed driver packages I finally found the right one that would enable the RAID controller inside the Windows 7 installation PE. I have uploaded it HERE.
Just unrar and copy it onto a flash drive and browse to it during the installation (when it fails to find any hard disks).

Once the system finishes installing - most of the drivers will be installed, the only ones that won't be are the Chipset and the onboard video (Matrox G200ER2). Download the driver for it here.
Chipset drivers are available here.

19 comments:

  1. HI, i have just installed with Win 7 Service Pack 1 Pro but it just can't install the Raid Device Driver. The Video and Chipset driver is ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which mode is set in your BIOS - AHCI or Raid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Serge

    I'm trying to install win 7 64 in my IBM X3100 M4 with 2 x 1 tb drives in RAID 1 mode like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgBYex6IDgA
    then when I try to boot with win 7 hangs on black screen "windows is loading files"
    have you any recomendation ?
    thanks

    Sergio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again

    after two reboots I can install it sussefully , how can I test if work's ok?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your installation media may be faulty. Check it on another machine.
      Also check the drive(s) integrity with an hdd diagnostic software.

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    I've tried to install Windows 8 & Windows 10 on an IBM x3100 m4 but both of the operation systems stuck during the installation process. (Copying files 0%)...
    Does anybody have a solution or a hint for that particular problem?

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I successfully installed Windows 10 on x3100 m4. But my display adaptor has been set as Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor. It doesn't support my monitor with native resolution of 1600x900.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plz Guide Me How to Install Win 10
      I have Win 10 64 bit Version ,

      Guide me how to install Win 10 64 bit

      Delete
  7. i am not able to install sound driver on win 7 in system x 3100M4

    ReplyDelete
  8. You saved me ! I have 8 hours searching for this driver! I downloaded all drivers for RAID from ibm support site and non worked for me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I am a new trainee, now have a problem is when I after install a graphics card then the vga connect in graphics card computer no display. After that, I try other way is using two monitor (one is vga, other one is dvi) to test can display or cannot. The IBM system x3100 m4 when vga connect on board will display "system
    initializing" then will jump to the connect dvi monitor. (graphics card is "geforce gt710")
    Please everyone know can help because this pc urgent to settle, now my bos say that pc become end user using.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good information shared i really happy found this blog thanks for sharing office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. I am a new trainee, and my problem is that when I install a graphics card, the vga connect in graphics card computer does not display. After that, I tried another method, which was to use two monitors (one vga, one dvi) to see if they could display or not. When vga connect on board is enabled, the IBM system x3100 m4 displays "system initialising" and then jumps to the connect dvi monitor. (The graphics card is called "geforce gt710").
    Please let everyone know if they can assist because this computer needs to be fixed right away. I tried to watch all the YouTube videos with maximum views, might be because of LenosTube the view are higher, the thing is I can't find the solution for my issue. please help if any one knows!

    ReplyDelete